A few months ago I posted a recipe for Cherry Almond Upside Down Cakes...well it's time for a fall version! I first thought about trying to do this with pumpkin and pecans, but decided I just can't go wrong with apples and cinnamon. The recipes are very similar and super easy!! These have been a huge hit around here and do not last long after they come out of the oven! I suggest adding a scoop of my Dairy Free Vanilla Bean Ice Cream to the top of them while they are warm...yum!
Apple Cinnamon Upside Down Cakes
Makes 6 large cakes
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour*
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey (I used Xylitol honey for lower sugar, or Swerve would also work)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup apples, skinned and diced (1 apple)
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar or try Swerve
- Combine diced apples, 1 tbsp butter/oil, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp coconut palm sugar in a bowl and mix well
- In a different bowl, whisk the eggs, melted butter/oil, 1/4 cup honey and the vanilla extract
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg and soda
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl of egg mixture and stir until combined
- Pour the apple mixture into the bottom of 6 holes of a greased muffin tin.
- Pour the batter over the apple mixture, it will come close to the top
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until brown
- Remove from the tins with a big spoon.
*I used Honeyville Almond Flour. these are already pretty moist so Bob’s Red Mill may make them REALLY moist but still delicious!
Let me know which one you like better, the apple or the cherry. I can't decide, they are both pretty darn good!
If you want to try Swerve or need to order more, use coupon code KATE10 for a 10% discount. Swerve is my favorite sugar replacement. It is the only sugar alcohol that will not cause tummy troubles and it does not raise blood glucose levels.
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!