I have been sitting on this recipe for over six months until I got a good picture! Meatloaf is not my favorite to photograph, but this is a fantastic recipe!! Who doesn't like sausage and bacon thrown together with some beef!!! We eat this for dinner, but it's perfect for breakfast too.
Breakfast isn't complete without potatoes or hash browns of some sort. I wanted to keep this recipe lower carb so I opted for boiled jicama instead of potatoes. Either one will work and you could really use any type of potato, taro or yucca. The key is to par-boil them to soften them up before hand.
Breakfast Bacon Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lbs grass-fed ground beef or bison
- 1/2 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 lb bacon (about 6 pieces), sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup jicama, cubed and softened (potatoes can be substituted)*
- 1/2-3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Brown the breakfast sausage, disgard the grease and set aside.
- Cook the bacon pieces until crispy or desired tenderness, set aside. Keep the grease in the pan!
- Saute the onions and softened jicama in the bacon grease, add in all of the seasoning. Cook until the onions are translucent
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, sausage and bacon with the egg. Add in the onion mixture using your hands to mash it all together
- Form into a loaf and place in a greased casserole dish. Drizzle with ketchup
- Bake at 350 for about 55 minutes
- This is fantastic as leftovers too!!
*To soften the jicama, cook in boiling water until soft. Takes 45-60 minutes depending on the size of your cubes. I cut them about 1/4 inch squares in size. Use the entire jicama and save the remaining pieces to saute as potatoes another time!
If you prefer to make your own ketchup, here is a low carb recipe.
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!
I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out BeautyCounter for more info!! You will love it!!