Super easy and super good!!! Some of us get sick of chicken breasts and need new ideas to change things up. I personally like chicken and am excited to create new recipes so it's possible to eat it often and not get bored with it. I remember as a kid asking what was for dinner and 9 times out of 10, the answer was chicken. It amazed me how many different ways my mom could fix it or cover it in sauces to make us think it wasn't chicken.
I was known amongst my family for liking over cooked meat. Well times have changed and the dry chicken that gets caught in your throat does not appeal to me! These chicken rolls are so moist, full of flavor and won't get stuck in your throat. This grain free recipe is similar to something my mom use to make us and I loved. She used bread crumbs and butter while I opt for no grains and refined coconut oil instead.
Recipe: Italian Chicken Nut Rolls
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup raw almonds, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- Additional 2 tbsp grass-fed butter (optional)
- Pound out the chicken to about 1/4 inch thick and cut in half lengthwise
- Place nuts in a food processor and grind until they become more like a meal, very small chunks
- Pour nuts onto a plate and add the garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and mix well
- Pour oil onto another plate. Dip chicken in the oil or brush oil onto both sides of chicken
- Place chicken in the nut mixture and coat both sides. Roll the breast and stick a toothpick in it to hold it together. Place on a greased cookie sheet
- Repeat for all the breasts and pour extra nuts over the tops of the chicken
- Place a small pat of butter on top of each roll (optional, but makes them brown even more)
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
I always use almonds and pecans, but you can certainly use whatever you'd like. I will be sharing some additional nut crusted meats and fishes in the future. Let us know what you come up with!